3 Reasons Why Global Recycling Day 2022 Matters More than Ever
Global Recycling Day takes place on 18th March 2022.
As the world enters a new, more eco-conscious era, recycling has a crucial role to play in supporting positive changes in consumer habits. Recycling has innumerable environmental and societal benefits, but just how much does recycling matter, and why is Global Recycling Day so important this year?
What Is Global Recycling Day?
First organised in 2018, Global Recycling Day is a campaign raising awareness about the vital role recycling plays in preserving the planet’s resources. The aim is to encourage consumers, businesses and world leaders to come together and start putting the planet first.
The mission statement of Global Recycling Day is set out by the Global Recycling Foundation:
- “To tell world leaders that recycling is a global issue, and that a unified approach to recycling is urgently needed”, and,
- “To ask people across the planet to think of resources, not waste, when it comes to the goods around us — until this happens, we simply won’t award recycled goods the true value and repurpose they deserve.”
Nowadays, consumers are more conscious of their environmental impact. Through education and awareness events like Global Recycling Day, we can enhance the focus on eco-friendly activities like recycling.
What Is the Theme for Global Recycling Day 2022?
The theme of Global Recycling Day 2022 is #RecyclingHeroes, recognising the people, places and activities that show how recycling contributes to an environmentally stable planet and a greener future.
We all know people with a passion for protecting the planet, from household names like Greta Thunberg to unsung, local campaigners. These heroes and heroines are campaigning for a better future for everyone, so now’s the time to celebrate them and recognise the importance of their contributions.
The Global Recycling Foundation isn’t solely focused on people’s individual efforts; it recognises businesses, communities, towns and cities all over the world. After all, recycling is a collective effort that will help us reach the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. By adopting innovative recycling practises, like using recycled and recyclable packaging, we can
Why Does Global Recycling Day Matter?
Recycling is always making headlines — recently, PepsiCo invested $35m in the Closed Loop Local Recycling fund — but it’s become even more prevalent over the past few years. This has enhanced the focus on recycling for this year’s event:
1. Recycling Is a Global Issue
The implications of waste reach further than our shores; raising awareness and tackling the issue is a collective responsibility shared by everyone across the globe. At such a crucial time in human history, this year’s Global Recycling Day is more important than ever. While you might think using things like recyclable packaging have little impact on worldwide circumstances, it’s the small, habitual changes that combine to make the biggest difference. If everyone switched to eco-friendly products tomorrow, at least some of society’s waste management problems would be solved.
2. Recycling Can Combat Climate Change
Climate change is a pervasive and complex problem that affects the worldwide population. The last eight years have been the hottest on record, and the implications of rising global temperatures are of great concern to climate experts. Now, it’s up to us to turn the tide, and recycling is a great place to start. It’s less expensive and resource-intensive than creating new products from raw materials. It also helps reduce waste, which is linked to pollution. On the whole, recycling materials like plastic, paper, cardboard and metal reduces the net environmental impact of everyday activities and business operations, helping us achieve a more sustainable future.
3. Recycling Promotes a Circular Economy
Recycling is a key component of creating a circular economy. The global population is turning towards more sustainable practises, and Global Recycling Day could prove vital in supporting this change. By promoting recycling, we’ll come one step closer to a circular economy where waste is eliminated and we make the best use of all of the planet’s natural resources.
How to Support Global Recycling Day
There are plenty of ways to get involved in Global Recycling Day and do your bit to help us achieve a more eco-friendly future:
- Raise Awareness — The easiest way to take part in Global Recycling Day 2022 is by raising awareness of the event by sharing resources to inform and educate people about the importance of recycling.
- Make Positive Changes at Home — The smallest changes to your lifestyle make a big difference. Keep your eye out for plastic-free packaging in supermarkets to minimise non-recyclable waste and rinse out food and drinks packaging thoroughly so it can be recycled.
- Enhance Your Company’s Eco-Friendly Focus — Whether you’re operating a small-scale start-up or a large packaging operation, opt for recyclable packaging to cut your carbon footprint. Packaging Supplies is a certified carbon neutral business, so you can be sure you’re getting the most environmentally safe products and services available.
- Become an Official Sponsor — Looking for greater involvement? Enquire about becoming an official sponsor of Global Recycling Day and help the world become a greener place through sponsoring the important event.
We can secure a more sustainable future together — we just need to be mindful of our habits and make the right changes wherever we can. Take part in Global Recycling Day this year and start making a difference!
Looking for a sustainable packaging solution? Buy plastic-free packaging online made from responsibly sourced, recycled and recyclable materials. Get free, green UK mainland shipping on all orders with no minimum order value.