For any e-commerce company, one of the few direct points of contact with the customer is through the outer shipping packaging. In recent times where consumers have various platforms to review and discuss every aspect of your service, the reinforcing of your brand through packaging has never been more important. It still seems to be a marketing tool that is under utilized.
The rise of e-commerce packaging is all down to the protection of the product that the consumer purchases. The customer is king, thus getting the product they ordered to them in perfect condition is essential. Like everything else e-commerce has evolved, seeing the increase of the brand experience going past the relying on the product but the incorporating of the whole experience.
How do you get your customer attention, creating a branded packaging experience?
In a basic sense, through the selection of the right shipping and packaging materials based around the idea of protection and presenting your product.
When customers are in a shop there are so many points of which touch point can be used to reinforce your brand, take Abercrombie for example using the fragrance within the shop .While it may be nauseating to some it is done for a reason. The only touch point an e-commerce merchant has an access to is through packaging, so you have to get it right and stand out from your competition.
Why is creating this branded experience so important?
Of course some packaging companies are going to encourage you to go bespoke when it comes to purchasing packaging, which can Increasing the cost with artwork, tooling and print stereo charges is there a benefit to these additional costs?
Branding has the purpose of customers returning time and time again, but also helping to market potential new customers. A recent study in America undertaken by Dotcom distribution revealed that 52 percent of customers are more likely to make a repeat purchase from a company that have premium packaging.
The same study, by Dotcom discovered that nearly 4 in 10 customers would discuss and share their experience if they deem the packaging to be unique.
How can you’re packaging be unique?
· Box: The most important point for online retailers is the shipping box, in the packaging world it is called an outer shipper. White or brown corrugated cardboard boxes, have dominated the material selection due to being sturdy, cost effective and getting the job done. Boxes can be made around your product and can have particular branding and features on it.
· Tissue paper: Having your products individually wrapped, gives an air of secrecy to your product, companies looking to impress can use printed tissue.
· Void fill: Tradition void fill can be Kraft paper, foam insets, bubble wrap and air pillow. Bubble wrap has it purpose but cannot give a desired effect. In recent time, crinkled paper and colored Kraft paper have become popular.
· Stickers: This is a cheap way, if you are using plain tissue a sticker used to seal wrappers together can reinforce branding. It also can be used as a cheaper option to getting your outer box printed.
· Tape: Unless you box is a self-sealing like a postal box. You will need tape to seal it up, why not reinforce seal it and reinforce it with branded tape. The purpose of this isn’t purely just atheistic; it acts as a tamper proof seal.